Blue plaque hope for town’s public offices

The historic Public Offices on Clifton Drive South, St Annes
The historic Public Offices on Clifton Drive South, St Annes
0
Have your say

Visitors to St Annes could soon be alerted to the historical significance of one of the town’s most notable buildings.

The Grade-II listed structure in Clifton Drive South, long used as public offices, will feature a blue plaque to tell people of its proud heritage, if planners agree.

The Lytham St Annes Civic Society has applied for permission to install the 16-inch plaque on the north of the building, which was home to St Annes On the Sea Urban District Council from 1902 until the formation of Lytham St Annes UDC 20 years later.

That council then acquired the former Southdown Hotel on St Annes Road West, opposite the pier, as its headquarters and that remains in use as Fylde Council’s town hall to this day, with the red-brick Clifton Drive South premises long used as public offices.

Papers lodged with Fylde Council planners say: “This plaque has been proposed to ensure future generations are made aware of the significance of this building to the town of St Annes on Sea,

“It is important this plaque is placed on the front elevation to mark its historic role in the town.”

The blue plaque would be made from cast aluminium and look almost identical to several others in both Lytham and St Annes.

If planners give their approval, it will read: “The first purpose built civic buildings at St Annes and the offices of the St Annes on the Sea Urban District Council 1902-22.

“Opened by Councillor Louise Stott on 22 January 1902. Grade II listed and still used by Fylde Council in 2015. Architect: Thomas Muirhead of St Annes and Manchester. Builder: William Woodcock of St Annes.”

The aim is to install it on the on the right hand side of the building on a patch of plain brickwork and the society added: “The location makes this plaque accessible to all those who wish to view it and at the same time it will not detract from the appearance of the building.

“It will serve to both enhance the building and ensure its place in the history of the town is not forgotten.”

A decision on the plaque will be made by planners at Fylde Council shortly.