Blue plaque to celebrate 100 years of Parish Rooms

Unveiling of a blue plaque at the Parish Rooms in St Annes.  Coun Tony Ford and Craig Harris from the Parish Rooms.
Unveiling of a blue plaque at the Parish Rooms in St Annes. Coun Tony Ford and Craig Harris from the Parish Rooms.
0
Have your say

A blue plaque celebrating St Annes Parish Rooms has been unveiled.

The plaque, installed in conjunction with Lytham St Annes Civic Society, has been funded by St Annes on the Sea Town Council and recognises the part the Parish Rooms, which were 100 years old in 2011, have played in the social and community life of the town.

Fr David Lyon, vicar of the adjacent St Annes Parish Church, blessed the plaque, which was unveiled by St Annes’ deputy town mayor Ed Nash. Craig Harris, who was heavily involved in the refurbishment of Parish Rooms and the centenary celebrations gave a vote of thanks to Coun Tony Ford, who, when town mayor two years ago, first suggested the idea of the plaque.

The Parish Rooms on Headroomgate Road were opened in 1911 and have undergone considerable refurbishment in recent years. A lift was recently installed there, following a fund-raising drive by parishioners, allowing greater access for people with mobility problems.

“The Town Council has set aside money for further blue plaques in the town and would be interested to hear from anyone who thinks that a building has a historic link or is linked to a famous individual,” said Coun Ford.