The first phase of a controversial housing development is finally set to start – if planners can agree on the layout of the project.
Kensington Homes was given outline planning permission to build 1,150 homes on land off Queensway in St Annes in 2012.
The application met opposition from some residents who felt it was too big, would harm wildlife on a greenfield site and had poor transport infrastructure.
But the Government rubber-stamped the project two years ago.
Now the first phase of work of 110 homes is set to start, providing Fylde Council planners can agree on landscaping and a wildlife assessment.
Today, Heyhouses ward councillor Barbara Nash said the imminent start of work would be “a relief”.
And she hoped it would signal the building of a long-awaited link road to the M55.
Kensington Homes is in discussions with Fylde Council and Lancashire County Council about the new route after the closure of Wild Lane in August last year.
Coun Nash added: “I’m hopeful the start of work will also signal the building of the moss link road and a new roundabout, which will help to improve traffic issues.”
The application is a mix of apartments, detached homes and semi-detached properties. A three storey apartment block will be built near the roundabout, which is to be formed at the Queensway and Kilnhouse Lane junction.
Denley Barrow, managing director of Kensington Homes, said: “We are very pleased the council is now in a position to support this development and approve the first phase of the residential scheme.
“We look forward to working with Fylde to deliver this major investment and employment opportunity creating high quality energy efficient homes for local people. This project will help strengthen the local economy. As economic pressures continue job opportunities are needed more than ever.
“The scheme could commence early next year subject to the agreement of the council.”
The application will be considered by planners at a Fylde Council meeting on Wednesday.