Visitors to St Annes could soon be alerted to the historical significance of the town hall.
The Grade-II listed building, the home of Fylde Council in St Annes Road West, will get a blue plaque to tell people of its proud heritage, if planners agree.
The Lytham St Anne’s Civic Society has applied for permission to install the 16 inch plaque on the north of the building, which is currently undergoing major refurbishment works.
“This plaque has been proposed to ensure future generations are made aware of the significance of this building to the town of St Annes on Sea,” papers lodged with the council planners said.
“It is important this plaque is placed on the front elevation to mark its historic role in the town.”
The blue plaque would be made from cast aluminium and look almost identical to several others in both Lytham and St Annes.
The first purpose built civic buildings at St Annes and the offices of the St Annes on the Sea Urban District Council 1902-22
If planners give their approval, it will read: “The first purpose built civic buildings at St Annes and the offices of the St Annes on the Sea Urban District Council 1902-22.
“Opened by Councillor Louise Stott on 22 January 1902.
“Grade II listed and still used by Fylde Council in 2015.
“Architect: Thomas Muirhead of St Annes and Manchester.
“Builder: William Woodcock of St Annes.”
It will be fixed into position so it can be seen by visitors approaching the building’s entrance from Clifton Drive, and will be installed on the right hand side on a patch of plain brickwork.
The society added: “The location makes this plaque accessible to all those who wish to view it and at the same time it will not detract from the appearance of the building.
“It will serve to both enhance the building and ensure its place in the history of the town is not forgotten.”
A decision on the plaque will be made by planners at Fylde Council shortly.
Town hall building’s £2.2 million journey to ‘fit for purpose’ offices
Last year, Fylde Council announced major plans to refurbish its headquarters as part of an eight-point plan worth in excess of £2.2 million.
Work to replace the roof and windows, as well as make structural repairs, has been completed, with the latest project the third phase of the ambitious refurbishment of the building.
Much of the funding for the project has been provided by the sale and disposal of surplus council assets.
They include the former depot site at St David’s Road North, St Annes, the former offices at Derby Road, Wesham and the Public Offices site in St Annes.
Councillors had previously discussed building a purpose-built civic centre, but opted to keep and upgrade the town hall.