MARK Menzies has entered the row over the proposed merger of King Edward and Queen Mary School with Blackpool’s Arnold under the United Church Schools Trust.
The Fylde MP has offered to mediate in the matter and is to write to Education Secretary Michael Gove to make him aware of parents’ concerns.
The proposed merger – set to come into effect next September – has caused immense controversy and parents are to meet tonight (Thursday) to discuss alternative plans for the future of the school.
“There are workable alternatives and KEQMS can remain independent,” said a No To The Takeover spokesman. “We want our Governors to put the brakes on and consider these options in detail.”
Tonight’s meeting will take place at Birchwood Country Park, on the road between Lytham and Warton, starting at 7.30pm.
Meanwhile, protests by parents have been continuing in smaller form after last week’s 500-strong rally, with one group of dog-owning mums dressing up their pets on the dunes opposite the school to make their feelings known.
Mr Menzies said: “I have received a huge number of letters from parents and other concerned parties about the merger/takeover.
“It’s clearly a huge concern to a great many people and, aside from the obvious issues that have been raised about class sizes, the identity of the school and the quality of education, the main complaint I have had is about a lack of consultation.
“This has, I have to say, been the very disappointing aspect.
“I have offered to meet with a delegation of parents and act as a liaison with the Governors.
“I have also offered to put forward any questions parents have to the Governors or UCST and see they are answered.
“In the coming days I will also be writing to Michael Gove to make him aware of parents concerns as well as the Governors and UCST to pass on the initial views I have received.”
See this week’s Express for a letters and background special.