UPDATED: Dog dies in Lytham bungalow fire

Pic: Lytham Fire Station
Pic: Lytham Fire Station

A dog has died in a kitchen fire at a bungalow in Lytham, the fire service said.

Two fire engines and crews from Lytham and St Annes were called to Gregory Place at around 5.15pm, with firefighters rescuing the pet from inside the smoke-logged home.

Pic: Lytham Fire Station

Pic: Lytham Fire Station

They 'tried to revive it but sadly it had died,' a spokesman for the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said.

The fire, believed to have started when a frying pan was left unattended, was put out by firefighters wearing breaking masks and carrying a water jet.

Nobody else was hurt, but the kitchen was 'gutted' by fire, while the rest of the bungalow was badly damaged by smoke, the spokesman added.

He said a neighbour alerted the resident, an older man, to the fire while he was outside his home.

Pic: Lytham Fire Station

Pic: Lytham Fire Station

Lytham Fire Station's Twitter account later uploaded three pictures showing the devastation caused, and said crews were on the scene five-and-a-half minutes after being called.

"Never leave cooking unattended," the tweet said.