Zambia trip for Lucy

Lucy Harling, who is fundraising for a three-month trip to Zambia
Lucy Harling, who is fundraising for a three-month trip to Zambia
0
Have your say

A student from St Annes is planning a trip of a lifetime while hoping to teach youngsters across Africa about sexual health.

Lucy Harling, 20, hopes to fly to Zambia at the end of May and is looking to raise £800 before she departs.

The York University student says she is excited about the experience of travelling to the country and the new ways of life she will encounter.

She plans to do a 60-mile bike ride from Blackpool to Lancaster, host cake and frock nights along with a number of “dressing funny for money” ideas.

Lucy said: “I have always wanted to challenge myself and give back to something or someone.

“I am going to take it all in my stride, I have just been on a training weekend and met the other teams where we learnt about all the risks we could face.

“It’s just about being a little more cautious and aware of your surroundings.

“But it’s all going to be worth it in the end, knowing that you have hopefully helped saved someone’s life.”

In the three months Lucy will be in Zambia, she will be helping to educate the younger generation on sexual health and setting up anti-Aids
clinics.

ICS is a UK government-funded development programme that brings together 18 to 25-year-olds from all backgrounds to fight poverty in overseas and UK
communities

Around 90 per cent of the funding comes from the UK Department for International Development and the other 10 per cent comes from volunteer fund-raising.

The 20-year-old will also be living with a host family from Zambia.

Lucy said: “I am excited about living with another family, it will be nice to learn about a new way of life and interesting to see how they
work.”

As well as the exciting opportunities and experiences, Lucy is happy to be making a difference.

She said: “Raising health awareness on sexual health in Zambia is becoming such a big thing and I’m so proud to be able to say I’m apart of raising that awareness and having this opportunity to educate and save lives.”

If you would like to donate, visit https://www.justgiving.com/Lucy-Harling or text ‘LHAR94’ with the amount you wish to donate to 70070.