ALL eyes will be on Royal Lytham St Annes Golf Club this summer.
Golf put Lytham on the world map – and the Open Championship in July will see some 200,000 visitors to the hallowed links course, with a further 400 million people watching on televison.
Those looking to witness the action from the Lytham fairways will find a clubhouse that has changed little over the years, as shown in these picture-postcard views from the early 1900s.
The golf club was originally formed in 1886.
Members originally met at the St Annes Hotel until the new clubhouse was started in 1896. During its construction materials had to be delivered by rough track, and a bus service transported members from the hotel until the headquarters was finally completed in March 1898, when the Marquis of Lorne, later the Duke of Argyll, conducted the opening.
Our final golfing “reflection” from Royal Lytham is a bit of a mystery – which we hope Express readers may solve.
Judging by the size of the watching crowd it is obviously a major tournament, probably in the 1950s – but what the was event, and who were the two golfers, both in light jumpers (right) who were involved?