Hygiene inspectors found a takeaway was a threat to public health with filthy premises and food stored incorrectly.
Raw burgers were stacked above cheese at Pound Takeaway, Central Drive, Blackpool, posing a threat of contamination. There was grease, dirt, rubble and dust around the takeaway, inadequate drainage and the premises were in poor repair.
Proprietor, Daniella Riaz, 25, of Central Drive, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to six offences of breaching food safety and hygiene laws.
She was fined £110 with £330 costs and ordered to pay £20 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.
Presiding magistrate, Philip Clayton, told her: “There was no excuse for the disgustingly dirty conditions. You had the ultimate responsibility for these premises.”
Lynda Bennett, prosecuting for Blackpool Council, said Riaz had become the proprietor of the takeaway in October last year. In one inspection health officials found evidence of smoking in a back work room.
Raw burgers were stored above cheese, posing a contamination risk and there were no temperature records to ensure food was maintained at the correct temperature
Inspectors returned on March 27 this year to find a whole raft of problems at the takeaway.
It was extremely dirty and areas were in poor repair. One basin was blocked and the drainage to it was not connected
Mrs Bennett added: “Raw burgers were stored above cheese, posing a contamination risk and there were no temperature records to ensure food was maintained at the correct temperature.”
Trevor Colebourne, defending, said it had been Riaz’s dream from being young to have her own catering outlet.
She often worked at three jobs and saved enough to get Pound Takeaway, in which she invested £15,000.
Mr Colebourne added: “She was somewhat inexperienced and naive and faced a barrage of bureaucracy which she could not cope with.
“Eventually she had a breakdown. Business dropped off and bills piled up.
“She has had to close the takeaway and is now in debt.”
Coun Gillian Campbell, Deputy Leader of Blackpool Council, said: “Businesses that fail to follow food hygiene rules are putting people at risk of serious illness.
“It is absolutely unacceptable, therefore, whether you’re a new restaurateur or an experienced operator, to fail to follow the law.
“Ignorance is not a defence.
“We would advise all consumers to use the national food hygiene rating scheme to ensure they only eat in places where cleanliness and hygiene is of the highest standard.”