Blackpool: From the courts 19-10-16
Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court from October 18.
Vincent Mulvey, threats to kill
A man accused of threatening to kill another man has made his first appearance at court.
Vincent Mulvey, 38, of Milton Street, Fleetwood, is also alleged to have assaulted the same man.
He is further accused of possessing a carving knife and kitchen knife in Windsor Terrace, Fleetwood, on October 15.
Prosecutor, Pam Smith, asked for the case to go to crown court. Defence lawyer, Gary McAnulty, did not apply for bail for his client.
Mulvey was remanded in custody to appear at Preston Crown Court on November 9 by Blackpool magistrates.
Aron Brooks, assault
A manaccused of biting his girlfriend on the arm during an argument in the car has appeared at court.
Aron Brooks, 26, of London Street, Fleetwood, pleaded not guilty to assault and was bailed to November 8 for trial by Blackpool magistrates.
He must not enter Preesall or contact prosecution witnesses as conditions of his bail.
Bert Almeida, extreme pornography
Police used a search warrant to seize a man’s computer and found extreme pornography.
Bert Almeida, 53, a window cleaner from St Heliers Road, South SHore, admitted three charges of possessing extreme images when he appeared before Blackpool Magistrates.
Jim Mowbray, prosecuting, said the images showed women having sex with dogs and horses, and another showed a woman’s breast being disfigured.
Suzanne Mugford, defending, said: “My client says these images were sent to him by a friend and he thought it was a joke.
“This case has been hanging over him for some time and has an effect on his health.”
Magistrates placed Almeida on a six-month community order. He was also placed on an eight-week curfew and ordered to pay £170 costs.
Robert Harding, perverting the course of justice
A man accused of perverting the course of justice by giving false details to police leading to an incorrect person being prosecuted has made his first appearance at court.
Robert Harding, 38, of Hodgson Road, North Shore, also faces an offence of driving without insurance and an offence of driving not in accordance with his licence.
He was bailed to appear at Preston Crown Court on November 9 by Blackpool magistrates.
A charge of failing to answer bail and attend court against Harding was dropped after defence lawyer, Kathryn Jamieson-Sinclair, told magistrates that Harding’s grandmother had been terminally ill. He had gone to see her and she had died on Saturday.
Alan Marshall, driving with excess alcohol
A drunken driver subjected a woman to a barrage of abuse and sat on the ground in front of the car she was in.
Alan Marshall, who told police he had not driven his car despite the neighbour seeing him pull up in it, was found to be more than twice over the limit.
Marshall, a 46-year-old meter reader, of Acorn Mews, Mereside, denied driving with excess alcohol but was found guilty of the offence after a trial in his absence.
He was banned from the road for 22 months, fined £180 with £200 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.
Presiding magistrate, Peter Collins, told him: “Driving with that level of alcohol in your body is unacceptable and you put people’s lives at risk.”
Prosecutor, Sarah Perkins, said a woman neighbour of Marshall’s was given a lift home by a male friend on May 29 about 1.30am.
They both saw Marshall pull into a nearby parking bay in a Renault Megane.
Marshall came over the them, banged on the window and asked what they were doing there.
He then let fly with a barrage of abuse and when the woman said: “You’ve been drinking haven’t you,” he replied “plenty.”
She phoned the police and Marshall lay down on the ground in front of the car.
A breath test showed 86 micrograms of alcohol in his body - 35 is the limit. He had a previous drink-driving conviction from 2000.
Suzanne Mugford, defending, said her client had been unable to attend the trial because he suffered from severe back pain and had been bedridden that day.
Marshall, who suffered from depression, had fully complied with the procedure at the police station.
He had now lost his job because he could not drive and was due to sign on for benefits.
Anthony McPartland, order breach
A man accused of breaching a restraining order by phoning a victim has been put on the wanted list.
Anthony McPartland, 27, of Fallowfield Road, Ansdell, failed to attend court and had a warrant without bail issued for his arrest by Blackpool magistrates.
Shane Denley, breach of the peace
A man causing a fracas at his home kept swearing and told police officers: “You’re not going to lock me up.”
Shane Denley refused to calm down and when police tried to arrest him he resisted so he had to be restrained.
Denley, 22, of Ashton Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to breach of the peace and was bound over in the sum of £20 for six months by resort magistrates.
Prosecutor, Sarah Perkins, said police were called to a report of a domestic incident between a couple at an address on Ashton Road where damage had been caused on the evening of October 17.
A woman appeared scared as Denley was shouting at her and an officer placed himself between the couple.
Denley refused to comply with officers who felt he would cause problems if he was left at the address.
Denley, who had no previous convictions, told magistrates it would not happen again.
He said he would go back and apologise to his partner and ask if she still wanted to be in the relationship.
Stephen Hampton, order breach
A father-of-four broke the law when he texted two of his children asking them to tell their mother something.
For Stephen Hampton was the subject of a family court order which prohibited him from making either direct or indirect contact with his former partner.
Hampton, 35, of Beach Road, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to two offences of breaching a non-molestation order. He was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £40 costs with £20 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.