Blackpool: From the courts 29/05/17

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Monday, 29th May 2017, 7:00 am
Updated Sunday, 4th June 2017, 10:14 pm
Blackpool Magistrates' Court

Jakub Novotny, 25, assault

A man left his boyfriend looking like something out of a horror film after he repeatedly punched him in the face and stamped on his forehead.

Graphic pictures of Jakub Novotny’s partner’s blood-soaked head were shown to a court during a hearing of his case.

Novotny, a 25-year-old hotel worker, of Buchanan Street, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm. The proceedings were relayed to him in Czech by an interpreter.

He was sentenced to 26 weeks jail suspended for 18 months, ordered to do 20 days rehabilitation supervised by the probation service, told to pay his victim £500 compensation and put on an 18 months restraining order which banned him from contacting the victim by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Novotny went to bed after he and his partner had been drinking on May 7 about 6pm.

The partner gently shook him and then described Novotny as going absolutely crazy. He repeatedly punched his partner in the face and when he fell to the floor stamped on his forehead. A witness at the address described the victim as “looking like something out of a horror film with blood running all over his face.” The victim needed stitches and steri-strips at hospital for cuts to his forehead and face.

Gary McAnulty, defending, told magistrates Novotny said his partner had pushed him out of bed with his foot, stood on his back then slapped him and punched him in the stomach.

Novotny admitted he had then lost his temper and gone way over the top punching him, but said he did not kick him.

He had been told the victim wanted their relationship to continue.

Amanda Ridler, 31, failing to comply with a bail condition.

A mother twice broke the rules of her bail.

Amanda Ridler, 31, of Duddon Avenue, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to two offences of failing to comply with a bail condition.

Blackpool magistrates agree to rebail her.

The court was told her first breach of bail was on May 19 when she breached her curfew by not being inside her address at 9pm.

The second breach took place on May 20 when she went into the One Stop shop, Fleetwood, a store she was banned from entering.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, asked magistrates to give his client a last chance to abide by her bail conditions.

Matthew Knights, 27, damage

A man was described as snapping and running amok in his girlfriend’s home causing £1,000 of damage to household items.

Matthew Knights, 27, formerly of Briarwood Drive, Bispham, now of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to an offence of damage.

Prosecutor, Andrew Robinson, told magistrates the couple were said to have had an on-off relationship for years and Knights was occasionally allowed to stay at his girlfriend’s home.

On March 29 at 10.40pm they had an argument and she asked him to be quiet.

A 17-year-old girl and a baby were present and Knights was described as snapping.

He pushed his girlfriend into the teenager and punched her in the back of the head. He then smashed the television and broke various electrical items in the kitchen.

Knights who appeared via the video-link from Preston Prison was remanded in custody for pre-sentence reports.

James Topping, 24, theft

A man who used the illegal drugs Spice and cocaine stole a satellite navigation system from an Iceland delivery van.

James Topping, 24, of Jackson Street, Layton, appeared over the court video-link from Preston Prison and pleaded guilty to an offence of theft.

He was fined £80 and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Andrew Robinson, said police received a report of an Iceland delivery van being broken into. Officers saw Topping nearby and found the £150 sat nav in his pocket when they searched him on May 2.

Peter Cave, defending, said his client, who had learning difficulties, had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity.

The defence added that Topping said he had drug-induced psychosis as he had been taking Spice and cocaine, but he was now off drugs.

Adam Latham, 23, actual bodily harm

A man rammed his boyfriend’s head into a car windscreen knocking him unconscious and smashing the glass.

Adam Latham and his partner were out celebrating the partner’s birthday but ended up tussling with each other during an argument over a wallet.

Latham, a 23-year-old bar worker, of Enfield Road, North Shore, pleaded guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm and causing damage to a Peugeot.

He was sentenced to 26 weeks jail suspended for 12 months, ordered to do 20 days rehabilitation supervised by the probation service and told to pay £100 compensation.

Prosecutor, Sarah Perkins, said a witness saw Latham and his partner on Dickson Road pushing and shoving at each other on April 10 about 2.30am.

Latham then grabbed his partner’s hair and shoved his head into the rear windscreen of a parked car breaking the glass. The partner blacked-out for a time and when he came to he was taken to hospital.

He was treated for glass in his eyes, blurred vision, a bump to his head and scratches.

Martin Hillson, defending, said the couple had been out drinking to celebrate Latham’s partner’s birthday. The partner then realised he had not got his wallet and he accused Latham of having it.

Latham, who had described himself as 11 to police on a scale of drunkenness from one to 10, had acted entirely out of character and was very remorseful. He hoped the relationship between himself and his partner could be resurrected.

Jon White, 29, driving while disqualified

A driver did ‘doughnuts’ spinning a car 360 degrees in front of Blackpool Football Club before fleeing from the police.

Jon White then crashed the Citroen C4 which belonged to a friend into nearby bollards and ran from the scene with a passenger.

White, 29, formerly of Waterloo Road, South Shore, now living at Durham Avenue, Doncaster, pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified and without due care and attention or insurance.

He was sentenced to do 200 hours unpaid work from the community, banned from the road for 18 months and ordered to pay £85 costs with £85 victims’ surcharge