Blackpool: From the courts 08-05-17

Blackpool Magistrates' Court
Blackpool Magistrates' Court
Share this article

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

David Logan, 36, sending an offensive message and threatening behaviour

A drunken dad-of-three posted a message on an anti-fracking site stating he was waiting and watching for an opportunity to “get” the police.

David Logan later threatened to punch a woman police officer in the face and then said he was going to take an officer’s life.

Logan, 36, of Wensleydale Close, Grange Park, pleaded guilty to sending an offensive message and threatening behaviour.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 35 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, put on a seven day curfew from 8pm to 7am and ordered to pay £85 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Logan posted a message on an anti-fracking site on April 13 complaining about the police and stating he was watching and waiting for an opportunity to get an officer.

Later the same day an officer was sent to Logan’s address following a complaint about a disturbance. Logan pulled open the door of a police car and shouted at the female PC inside saying he was going to punch her in the face.

Howard Green, defending, said Logan had started drinking more heavily after his best friend died in March. The day of the offence he had drunk a bottle of vodka and was extremely drunk.

Logan was dissatisfied with the way the police were handling a complaint he made about his young daughter being kicked by another parent at her school. He put the post on the anti-fracking site because he knew the police would read it there. He had no intention of acting on his threats.

Here is Friday’s round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 05-05-17

Joseph Aspinall, 32, assault

A pub’s staff night out turned into a bar room brawl, magistrates were told.

The head chef turned on the female landlady first pushing and kicking her.

Then he turned his attention to two other members of staff from the Lord Derby pub on St Annes Road West, St Annes.

Joseph Aspinall, 32, of Palatine Road, Blackpool admitted assaulting the licencee and her two staff.

He was given a 12 week curfew and ordered to pay £360 in costs and compensation.

Magistrates were told staff were invited for a night out by the landlady.

They returned to her pub and cotiinued to drink and play pool after time had been called.

During the evening the landlady drew Aspinall’s attention to things that needed doing in the kitchen.

He lost his temper and refused to leave. After he committed the assaults police were called.

Aspinall told the hearing: “I flipped my lid and am very sorry. I lost my job but have found a new one now.”

Peter Farrell, 60, drink-driving

A care worker accused of driving a Mercedes while over the alcohol limit has appeared at court.

Peter Farrell, 60, of Breck Road, Poulton, pleaded not guilty to drink-driving and was bailed to fix a trial date by Blackpool magistrates.

Aaron Moran, 18, drink-driving

A teenager was found to be almost twice over the limit after police saw him driving at night without headlights.

Aaron Moran, 18, of Fleetwood Road, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

He was disqualified from driving for 18 months and fined £120 with £30 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police saw Moran driving a Ford Fiesta on April 14 without headlights and parking up in Preston Street, Fleetwood. A breath test showed 69 micrograms of alcohol in his body – 35 is the limit.

David Charnley, defending, said his client, who had no previous convictions, had made a mistake by driving a short distance after drinking and he was truly remorseful about what he had done.

Lee Eichner, 22, possession of cocaine and cannabis

Police found two types of drugs on a man when they searched him.

Lee Eichner, 22, of Frederick Street, South Shore, pleaded guilty to possessing cocaine and cannabis.

He was fined £40 and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge by magistrates who ordered the destruction of the drugs.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said a plastic bag containing cocaine and some cannabis were discovered on Eichner when police searched him on April 2 at 3.45am.

When interviewed he said he smoked cannabis recreationally but he did not know where the cocaine had come from.

Allan Cobain, defending, said Eichner’s partner had lost the baby she was carrying. He was upset and went out drinking.

John Reilly, assault

A reveller punched a head door security officer in the face after the officer had ejected him from a nightspot.

John Reilly, a of-two, of Knowle Avenue, North Shore, admitted assault.

He was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £20 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said the head doorman at Walkabout had to eject Reilly after he caused problems with other customers on December 2.

At 2.30am the doorman went to get some food and Reilly squared up to him before punching him in the face. The doorman was not injured.

When interviewed Reilly said he had drunk about 15 cans of lager before and had drunk more when he was out. He added that the head doorman did not like him and always threw him out. Reilly was given a caution by police on the condition he paid £50 compensation, which he failed to pay.

Kathryn Jamieson-Sinclair, defending, said Reilly, who had acted impulsively after drinking, had immediately admitted his guilt and expressed remorse.

He was on benefits and after bills were paid only had £47 a fortnight to live on so he could not pay the money demanded on the conditional caution.

Darren Greenwood, 28, drink-driving

A learner driver who had been drinking found himself in trouble with the law when he moved a van for a friend.

Darren Greenwood, 28, of Warbreck Drive, North Shore, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol without insurance and not in accordance with his provisional licence.

He was banned from the road for 12 months and fined £120 with £30 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police spoke to Greenwood on April 12 at 10.40pm after seeing him driving an Iveco van on the resort’s Springfield Road. A breath test showed 44 micrograms of alcohol in his body - 35 is the limit.