Fylde: From the courts 19-05-16

A stressed soldier broke the law when he returned to live with his wife at Weeton Army Barracks.

Thursday, 19th May 2016, 2:00 pm
Blackpool Magistrates Court

John Burge had been banned by a court from contacting wife, Hayley, but returned home when she said their son was ill.

Burge, 29, formerly of Halton Street, Weeton, near Kirkham, now living at Irlam House, Bootle, Liverpool, pleaded guilty to breaching a restraining order and a suspended prison sentence.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order, put on 12 weeks curfew from 8pm to 7am, had the operational period of his suspended sentence extended for 12 months and ordered to pay £85 costs with £85 victims’ surcharge by District Judge Duncan Birrell sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

Burge was also put on a 12 months restraining order which bans him from contacting his wife.

Chrissie Hunt, said Burge, who had previous convictions for assaulting his partner and breaching a restraining order, had been put on the 12 months restraining order last year and it was due to expire on May 18 this year.

Between May 11 and 16 Burge had been at his previous address at Halton Street where his partner lived. The welfare officer at Weeton Barracks was told by a witness that a woman had been heard screaming from that address “get off me, leave the house”. A witness also saw Burge, through the window, in an armchair at the house watching TV.

The prosecutor said: “Mrs Burge says she does not want a reconciliation but the defendant still harbours hope they will get back together.”

Brett Chappell, defending, said Burge had seen horrific things during his tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. They had affected his stability and he had been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

• A son who battered his mother leaving her with a black eye has been ordered to pay her £100 compensation.

Alastair Fallon, a 26-year-old scrap recycling plant worker, formerly of Oxford Road, St Annes, now living at Saville Road, South Shore, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to assault.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 20 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, ordered to do 40 hours unpaid work for the community and ordered to pay £100 compensation with £85 costs plus £85 victims’ surcharge by District Judge Duncan Birrell sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

Prosecutor, Chrissie Hunt, said the incident took place on April 29 at St Annes. Fallon admitted punching, kicking and slapping his mother and having her in a bear-hug, leaving her with bruising to the eye.

Ms Hunt said the prosecution did not accept Fallon’s claim that his mother instigated the incident by getting hold of a clump of his hair and pulling.

The prosecutor said: “I am told his mother does not want a restraining order and simply wants him to go home.”

Stephen Duffy, defending, asked for a report on his client and said: “This arose when he and his mother began drinking alcohol at 9am. The offence was out of character for him.”

• A takeaway worker was found with a cocktail of drugs in his body after being stopped in his car by police.

Martin Neil had cannabis, cocaine and ketamine in his system as he gave two passengers a lift home.

Neil, 22, of Grassington Road, St Annes, pleaded guilty to driving while unfit through drugs.

He was banned from the road for 17 months, fined £250 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £20 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said police saw Neil driving a Citroen Saxo erratically on Clifton Drive North, St Annes, on February 29 at 3.30am weaving about and not maintaining a constant speed.

Police stopped the car on St David’s Road North and could smell a strong smell of cannabis coming from Neil and his passengers.

Neil failed an impairment test and a blood sample taken showed cannabis, cocaine and ketamine in his body.

Malcolm Cartwright, defending, said his client worked for a Mexican takeaway in Lytham.