Judge warns St Annes nightclub attacker

The victim had been queuing outside Vogue in St Annes when Edwards attacked him.
The victim had been queuing outside Vogue in St Annes when Edwards attacked him.

A university student was left unable to eat after he was attacked outside a St Annes nightclub.

The victim also went on to fail his exams.

Preston Crown Court heard he had been “thumped”in the face by Mason Edwards, who had got involved in a violent scene led by others.

Edwards, 18, of Plainmoor Drive, Cleveleys, was given a community order of 12 months’ supervision and 180 hours’ unpaid work by a judge who also ordered him to pay £1,500 compensation.

He had pleaded guilty to an assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The court heard the victim had been in a queue waiting to get into Vogue when he was attacked on December 21.

David Birrell, prosecuting, said a Vauxhall Corsa car pulled up and a number of men got out of the vehicle. Edwards was one of them.

“The other men set about attacking another man. The defendant was last to get out and approached the victim, who was a friend of the person attacked”, said Mr Birrell.

Edwards, without any provocation, punched him to the face.

The single punch caused a broken tooth and a cut lip. A friend of Mr Taylor recognised the defendant and gave his name to police.

The victim had cuts to his gums, which turned into ulcers and then into scars.

He was said to have struggled to eat and drink for a period of time.

He had a hotel job and, due to his injury, was given work in the kitchen, rather than dealing with customers.

His studies were adversely affected and he failed his exams, but went on to resit them, added Mr Birrell.

Edwards had no previous convictions.

Peter Horgan, defending, said the court case had had a sobering impact and he now rarely drinks.

He said: “He is quite terrified today, having involved himself 13 months ago in an action which was out of character.

“He is held in great esteem, not only by family members, but also those he works with.”

Judge Simon Newell said Edwards had earlier been at a works do at Fleetwood Football Club when he left there drunk in a car, with friends.

The judge said: “All young men make mistakes, whether they learn from them is a matter for them.

“You need to learn from what you have done and move on.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.