WALKS FREE: Drink driver who caused this crash avoids jail

Five cars were involved in a crash in Hawes Side Lane, Marton, at around 10.30pm on Sunday, November 1, 2015
Five cars were involved in a crash in Hawes Side Lane, Marton, at around 10.30pm on Sunday, November 1, 2015
Share this article

A drunken driver who tried to flee a horror crash which left two people injured has been spared jail.

James Greenhalgh took his sister’s car without permission and then lost control when he tried to take a bend at speed, causing a multi-car collision costing thousands of pounds of damage.

He first crashed head on into a Whiteside’s taxi which was pushed into a 4X4.

Greenhalgh drove on and smashed into a parked Citroen Saxo which spun 180 degrees and hit a Ford Focus.

Greenhalgh still carried on in the Zafira and collided with a garden wall.

The occupant of the house came out and found the Zafira wedged across his gate with Greenhalgh revving the engine.

Greenhalgh, 35, of Westgate Road, St Annes, pleaded guilty to the aggravated taking of a car without consent and driving it with excess alcohol without insurance.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 20 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, put on a six weeks curfew from 9pm to 6am, disqualified from driving for 14 months and ordered to pay a £150 court charge with £60 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Adrian Hollamby, said Greenhalgh took his sister’s car on the evening of November 1. On Hawes Side Lane, Marton, he lost control on a bend and first hit the taxi.

Despite having a front wheel bent under the car Greenhalgh carried on and caused more carnage.

When police arrived there was a short chase as he tried to run off.

A breath test showed 57 microgrammes of alcohol in his body - 35 is the limit.

The taxi driver suffered whiplash and ankle injuries as did a female passenger in Greenhalgh’s car.

The taxi and Zafira were written off and the cost of the damage to date was £7,500. The value of any damage caused to the 4x4 and the Ford Focus had not been detailed to the prosecution.

Stephen Duffy, defending, said his client, who had no previous convictions, had been signed off sick with depression from his job as a machine operator, after a relationship he was in broke down.

The night of the accident he had been drinking at a club on Highfield Road.

The passenger in Greenhalgh’s car was there and she said she had seen him drink only one pint.

Mr Duffy added: “He drove far too quickly for the weather conditions and he was unable to take a sharp left-hand bend.”