Dad charged with murder of his baby daughter

Detectives investigating the death of a baby girl in Fleetwood have tonight charged her father with murder.

Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 11:02 pm
Updated Thursday, 24th March 2016, 10:47 am
The house, with the white door where Daisy Mae was discovered in a serious condition by police

John Burrill, 30, from Gordon Road, Fleetwood, will appear in court tomorrow (Thursday) morning, accused of killing two-month-old Daisy-Mae.

He had been held on suspicion of murder throughout yesterday and police say they consulted with the Crown Prosecution Service before charging him latein the evening.

A 29-year-old woman, believed to be the baby’s mother, was also arrested at an address in Thornton on suspicion of causing or allowing the death of a child – but she has been released without charge.

The arrests followed reports of a baby in a serious condition at a terraced house in Warren Street, Fleetwood on March 11.

The baby was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital having suffered a suspected heart attack.

She was later transferred to Manchester Children’s Hospital but died three days later.

The man and woman were initially arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent.

Police say a Home Office post mortem examination has revealed she had died from a head injury.

Tonight, a police spokesman said: “A 30-year-old man and a 29-year-old woman were initially arrested on suspicion of Section 18 – wounding with intent and were bailed pending further enquiries but re-arrested.

“Following consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service, John Burrill, 30, of Gordon Road, Fleetwood, has been charged with murder and remanded to appear at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.”

The 29-year-old woman was released without charge.

Residents living near the house where Daisy Mae was found, have said they have been left “shocked and distressed” by the news of her death.

Philip Hudson said: “It’s all come as a complete shock.”

Mr Hudson who has lived in Warren Road for 16 years, said he believed the man, woman and Daisy Mae had been at the address for 12 months.

Another neighbour, who lives a couple of doors away from the house, said: “We are still coming to terms with the news of what has happened.”