Flats evacuated after fire

Fire at a flat in St Georges Road, St Annes.
Fire at a flat in St Georges Road, St Annes.
Share this article

Dozens of people had to be evacuated from their homes after a flat fire in St Annes.

The incident happened around 10pm on Thursday when a fire broke out in the bedroom of a property on St Georges Road.

Crews from St Annes Fire Station were called to the blaze, with homeowners allowed back inside the flats around 2am.

Watch manager Steve Barnes said: “There was an occupant in the flat with tea lights.

“They were close to a quilt cover, which ignited. When the occupant attempted to put out the flames, the fire spread, which is when we were called.

“Six firefighters were used to put out the fire, with significant damage caused to the property and other flats.

“By the time we had finished, residents were allowed back inside around 2am.”

No injuries were reported in the incident.