Fylde: From the courts 25-02-16

Blackpool Magistrates' Court
Blackpool Magistrates' Court
Share this article

A man in supported living accommodation at Lytham flew into a rage after being told not to visit social media sites on the computer.

Jonathan Kay hurled the computer onto the floor and stamped on it before punching a computer monitor after a social worker turned off the Internet.

Kay claimed he had not been on social media sites and said he believed the social worker wanted to leave because he had a pizza to eat.

Kay, a21, of Harbour House, Dock Road, Lytham, pleaded guilty to causing damage.

He was sentenced to a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £85 costs plus £15 victims’ surcharge by District Judge David Scanlon sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

Malcolm Isherwood, prosecuting, said Kay was in a support session at Harbour House and was meant to be using the computer on January 2, to search for employment.

The social worker with him warned him several times about going on social media sites.

The social worker described Kay’s attitude as arrogant and the worker turned off the internet.

Kay then damaged the computer.

Howard Green, defending, said the support session was aimed at helping Kay to deal with the computer equipment.

Mr Green added: “Kay said he was not using social media sites.

“He felt the staff member just wanted to go off and eat his pizza.”

Kay, who had been diagnosed with psychosis, had not been taking his medication at the time of the offence, but he was now back on it.

• A victim of domestic violence forged references for herself to get a job as a nursing assistant in the NHS a court was told.

Mother-of-two, Rebekah Crowe, was said to be desperate to work so she could get out of the house and avoid the domestic abuse she endured.

Crowe, 32, of Hogarth Crescent, Roseacre Road, near Kirkham, pleaded guilty to fraud by making-up references to gain paid employment between August 1 2014 and March 12 last year.

She was fined £80 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £20 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, said a senior NHS manager was last year told Crowe was off work due to being the victim of violence.

The manager asked for Crowe’s file from human resources in an attempt to try and ensure her safety.

The manager then became suspicious of three references Crowe had given.

One was said to be from a ward manager at Blackpool Victoria Hospital, others were said to be from Lancashire County Council and Blackpool Council.

The manager tried ringing the phone numbers given by the so called referees, but the calls were not answered.

Crowe, who worked as a health care assistant in the diabetic eye screening team for Blackpool and the Fylde, was interviewed and admitted the references were false.

She said her qualifications were real, but she felt if she had not had the references she would not have got the job. She had earned about £14,500 for six months work.

Michael Leach, defending, said at the time Crowe was living with her husband and two children.

He added: “She said she was the victim of the most serious domestic abuse.

“In February last year she was the victim of a serious injury for which she had to take time off work and this prompted the investigation.

“After the abuse she twice attempted to take her life.

“She wanted to go out to work because she was terrified of remaining in the house.”

Crowe had expressed extreme remorse for her actions.

Her qualifications had been genuine, she had earned her wages and had even been offered promotion.

• A judge told a young St Annes man that he had a an “abysmal” driving record.

Matthew Goupil had only recently gone back on the road after being banned for drink driving when he failed to see an accident scene ahead 
of him on the A583 in Blackpool.

Police were at the crash scene and had coned off the area and had their blue lights flashing at the scene.

However, 24-year-old Goupil who was driving a coupe with a personalised plate GOU9S failed to brake in time.

When he did his brakes locked, he skidded narrowly missing the parked police car.His car then hit a tree.

Goupil of Leach Lane, St Annes, admitted driving without due care and attention.

He was fined £100 and was ordered to pay £105 costs.

District Judge David Scanlon told him: “You are a young man with an abysmal driving record.

“You had only just returned to the roads.

“You nearly killed yourself never mind hurting others.”

Goupil’s lawyer Brett Chappell said: “He knows he should have braked a lot earlier.”