Fylde’s eateries earn their stars

The Queens Hotel in Lytham have received a 5 star rating.  Pictured is Claire Holt.
The Queens Hotel in Lytham have received a 5 star rating. Pictured is Claire Holt.
Share this article

DINING bosses who attained excellent reputations for cleanliness last year have shared the secret of their success.

Nowhere in the borough of Fylde received a zero star rating in food hygiene inspections.

That’s in stark contrast to neighbouring Blackpool where 14 eateries were given no rating in the five-star scheme.

One takeaway in Fleetwood also failed to win any stars.

Restaurant proprietors who received top marks at their inspections in Fylde shared their delight.

Clare Holt, co-owner of the Queens Hotel, on Central Beach, Lytham, said: “I’d been here a short time when we had our first visit from the inspectors on a Friday lunchtime when we were extremely busy.

“It was a thorough visit and they told us immediately what our star rating was, so obviously we were very pleased with that and we like to keep on top of things.”

Lynn Wilford, of the Sarni Stop, on Wood Street, St Annes, added: “What the council are keen on is food preparation and that food is stored correctly so people don’t get poorly.

“If you don’t do that you’re not looking after your customers.”

Mark Jagger, who owns Lytham Pantry, in North Clifton Street, Lytham, said: “It’s an important part of my business.

“If you’ve got the five star rating the customers come in and know you’re looking after your food properly.

“I’ve got an open front kitchen so people can see in as well, people eat with their eyes.

“It makes them confident that what they’re getting is good quality.”

A spokesman for Fylde Council said: “We are pleased that restaurants and other food establishments have responded well to this scheme.

“The scheme is designed to put the customer in charge and the customer now knows which premises are clean and safe and which aren’t, and they can spend their money accordingly – which acts as an incentive to owners to put safety first.”