Guest saves man after glass attack

John Phelan
John Phelan
Share this article

A wedding guest today spoke of the moment he rushed to perform life-saving first aid after a man was attacked with a wine glass during the reception.

John Phelan was leaving the lavish celebration, being held on land near Windtop Farm, in Wrea Green, last Saturday, when he saw a man bleeding severely from a neck wound.

He and his wife, Kimberly, fought to keep pressure on the wound to try and stem the bleeding.

Mr Phelan a retained firefighter at Lytham, said: “He was very, very poorly and had lost a lot of blood.

“I heard later that if he had lost any more, he wouldn’t have made it.”

Mr and Mrs Phelan were joined by another wedding guest in trying to help the 28-year-old man, who is believed to live in Blackpool.

Mr Phelan, 41, said: “I didn’t realise how serious it was at first.

“I didn’t have a clue until I realised how much blood he was losing. As soon as I saw how much it was, I knew it had to be stopped.

“I’ve had some training through Lancashire Fire and Rescue, but I didn’t expect anything like it. It was very difficult.”

He said guests got some towels to try and stop the blood, as well as continuously taking his blood pressure and talking to him.

“He was conscious, but he wasn’t really with it,” he added.

The victim was rushed to the major trauma unit at Royal Preston Hospital where he had to undergo an emergency throat operation.

He is now recovering at home, having had staples inserted into his neck.

Mr Phelan said it wasn’t until the following day that he and his wife fully understood the seriousness of the situation.

“We were both in shock when it finally set in,” he said.

“At the time we just focussed on the job in hand, but afterwards I realised that with the amount of blood he had lost he might not make it.”

Mr Phelan’s brother-in-law Richard Shepherd arrived at the scene, off Brown Lane, shortly after the incident, which happened at around 10.10pm.

He said: “John was in the middle of saving a man’s life.

“It was pandemonium. There were seven police cars and an ambulance were there.”

A Lancashire Police spokesman said: “The victim and the suspect were both at a wedding and there was an altercation between the two.

“A 28-year-old man has been struck in the face and neck area with a wine glass and received a serious wound to his throat. He received first aid at the scene and was later taken to hospital for an operation.”

A spokesman for the North West Ambulance Service said they were called by a guest at the wedding at around 10.12pm. When they arrived the victim was receiving treatment from fellow guests.

Paramedics spent 15 minutes stabilising the man and trying to suppress the bleeding before taking him to hospital.

Police say a 21-year-old man from Kirkham was arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent.