Pub kitchen so dirty '˜it was a risk to health'
The former manager of one of Blackpool's oldest town centre pubs was told that the kitchens had become so dirty that he was lucky somebody had not been taken seriously ill.
John Latimer, 47, who used to run the King Edward VII pub, on Central Drive, admitted 10 offences under Food Hygiene legislation when he appeared before Blackpool Magistrates
Latimer, who now manages a pub in Wakefield, was fined £634. He was also ordered to pay £63 victims’ surcharge and £180 costs.
Sentencing him, Chairman of the Bench David Cartain said: “You were lucky no one was taken seriously ill such were the seriousness of the breaches.”
Lynda Bennett, prosecuting for Blackpool Council, said that following a complaint from the public, an environmental health officer inspected the kitchens used to prepare meals for the public.
She said: “Generally the kitchens were very dirty. There were problems in the food storage area in the cellar.”
She said the ice machine had mould on it and a tub of coleslaw was six weeks past its use-by date.
There were other problems with the general state of the decoration. Surfaces were greasy and there was no hot water available at two sinks, she said.
The officer returned for a second visit and found the premises still below standard. It was awarded a mark of one, which means major improvements were required.
Latimer told the magistrates the kitchens had a four mark when he was chef.
He then became manager, hired a new chef but then “took his eye off the ball” and allowed things to deteriorate.
He sacked the chef and closed the kitchens down.