Tragic dad, 45, was '˜unlikely' to survive

The surgeon who operated on a tragic Lytham dad said he thought it was unlikely he would survive major surgery.

Thursday, 3rd May 2018, 1:18 pm
Updated Thursday, 3rd May 2018, 1:26 pm
Paul Wilkinson

Read More

Read More
Dad died at Blackpool Vic due to 'serious breach of care'

General surgeon Dr Alexander Blackmore operated on Paul Wilkinson, 45, shortly before he died of multiple organ failure on May 31 2017, five days after coming into Blackpool A&E with abdominal pains.

Mr Wilkinson, a dad-of-three, was admitted to a ward at Blackpool Vic on May 26 after being brought in by ambulance. He had previously attended his GP complaining of muscle pains.

Despite being examined by doctors, his condition deteriorated, and a doctor who saw him on the morning of May 29 determined that he would die without intervention.

Dr Blackmore, who first saw Mr Wilkinson in intensive care on May 30, said: “At the time when I saw him he was critically ill and needed a large dose of medication to maintain his circulation.

“At that point in time I felt it was highly unlikely he would survive major surgical intervention.

“We agreed that a period of stablisation on the intensive care unit might improve his condition, and that was his best chance of survival.”

The following day, doctors noticed a ‘slight improvement’ in Mr Wilkinson’s condition, however, he remained severely unwell and it was decided that there was ‘no realistic chance of improvement without surgical intervention’.

An operation by Dr Blackmore revealed Mr Wilkinson’s organs were severely infected. He died later that day from sepsis and severe bowel inflammation.

Dr Blackmore said: “It was evident that there was extensive necrosis to the entire gut.”

The inquest heard how the doctor had voluntarily worked beyond his appointed hours to operate on Mr Wilkinson.


Mr Wilkinson

Paul Wilkinson was a 45-year-old dad of three from Lytham, who died at Blackpool Victoria Hospital on May 31 2017.

At his inquest at Blackpool Town Hall this week, independent expert Dr Christopher Gibbons said “repeated individual errors and system failures” at the hospital contributed to his death.

The inquest heard how antibiotics may have saved him.