Little ready for eliminator bid
Kirkham boxer Adam Little is facing up to the most important fight of his career to date at the Hilton Hotel in Blackpool.
He takes on former British champion Martin Gethin on September 17 in a bout billed as an eliminator for the Commonwealth welterweight title.
The only blot on the 25-year-old record so far is a controversial loss to Sam Matkin in Blackpool in March.
And with plans for a re-match between the pair failing to bear fruit, the Little camp are now exploring a different route.
Little said: “We tried to get Sam Matkin to fight me again, but he wasn’t having it and I am not hanging about for him.
“So now the fight with Gethin has been fixed. He is a former British champion and he won an IBF international title.
“Gethin may be coming to the end of his career but I know that he has something left and that he will be coming to fight.
“He has fought at world level and he wants to get back there.”
It is a fascinating match-up for the Kirkham welterweight against the experienced 32-year-old, who has been in with some of the best at domestic level and has won 26 of his 34 contests.
The Walsall boxer won his British title at lightweight, beating Ben Murphy.
However, he lost when the British title was again at stake against Terry Flanagan and Derry Matthews. Flanagan has since gone on to annexe a version of the world title.
One career high spot for Gethin was to win the vacant IBF international lightweight title against Carl Johanneson in 2012. Gethin’s last fight was in May, beating Fonz Alexander on points in his home town.
Since the Matkin loss, Little has scored a routine win over Jacek Wylezol in April.
Little said: “I have become the forgotten man of Blackpool boxing and the Matkin loss didn’t help.
“But I am over that and maybe it was the kick up the backside I needed. In two years I may look back and say it was the best thing to happen to me.”