AFC Fylde 0 Chorley 1

Harry Winter for Fylde
Harry Winter for Fylde
Share this article

Fylde produced some decent football but failed to take their chances and suffered their first defeat of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier campaign in front of a bumper derby crowd of 588.

Andy Russell had the first good chance for Fylde, blazing over after just a couple of minutes, then his mistake almost allowed Josh Hine in but Russell recovered well to deny the Chorley striker a shot.

Both sides were often let down by their final ball, but perhaps Fylde’s best chance of the game came in the 22nd minute, when Jamie Rainford hit a free-kick into the side-netting.

The all-important Chorley goal came two minutes later, when a good move ended with the outstanding Adam Roscoe finding Darren Stephenson and the lone striker fired home.

Stephenson had another attempt soon after but his shot was safely dealt with by keeper Ben Hinchliffe, who was untroubled by Jamie Vermiglio’s attempt or Roscoe’s volley from outside the box.

Brad Barnes’ comeback after a lengthy suspension was ended by injury before half-time and he was replaced by Jack Dorney.

Fylde almost conceded again just before the break, when Tom Baker’s free-kick sailed just past the post.

Harry Winter received a yellow card early in the second half, as did Vermiglio who was whisked off to avoid further punishment and replaced by Simon Wiles.

The influential Roscoe was then denied a fantastic second for Chorley when his forceful drive beat Hinchliffe but cannoned off the bar.

Hine went down clutching his face after jumping for a header in the Fylde box, and although everyone in Chorley colours appealed for a penalty the referee was having none of it.

Fylde’s day was summed up when no-one attacked the ball from Dorney’s free-kick from a promising position.

The home side did have several attempts in the final five minutes. First, Dorney’s effort was blocked, then a very quiet Michael Barnes had a shot comfortably saved by Sam Ashton, who was rarely troubled.

The keeper was relieved to see Matty Blinkhorn head wide from fellow substitute Joe Booth’s free-kick in the final minute of stoppage time.

Fylde manager Dave Challinor said: “The players didn’t take the chances that were created and were not good enough in the final third.

“They had the chances to make the keeper work and didn’t. There was a lack of composure up front. There is certainly plenty to work on.”

Unbeaten Chorley move up to second, while Fylde now look forward to Saturday’s visit to Worksop.

Ben Yaffe

Fylde: Hinchliffe, Hankin, Sumner, M Hughes, Russell, C Hughes, Winter (Boothy 76), B. Barnes (Dorney 42), Lloyd, Rainford (Blinkhorn 65), M. Barnes; not used: Denson, Dean.