AFC Fylde 5 Droylsden 0

Matt Blikhorn heads home the first
Matt Blikhorn heads home the first
Share this article

Fylde made it 11 goals in two games with this demolition of Droylsden.

The side relegated from the Blue Square North last season had no answer for a rampant Fylde side that carried on from where they left off at Worksop on Saturday with goals from Matty Blinkhorn, Matty Hughes, Harry Winter, Dave Hankin and Joe Booth.

Fylde signalled their intent from the off and registered their first shot after six minutes – Michael Barnes showing blistering form to unleash a shot which fell kindly for Bloods keeper Dale Latham.

Latham was arguably the best player for the visitors and certainly the one who had the most work to do. A minute later he was almost beaten by his own player but managed to keep out a wayward deflection off Daryl Grant.

Fylde’s Danny Lloyd was denied twice, first on the line by a good block from Lewis Killeen on nine minutes, and then from a 22-yard free-kick on 15.

But, after a brief spell when Domaine Rouse threatened to snatch a lead for the visitors, Matty Blinkhorn put the Coasters ahead on 23 minutes, connecting well with Barnes’ cross to head home a well worked goal.

It took 13 minutes for Fylde to notch their second – this time Blinkhorn turned provider as his cross found captain Matty Hughes, who headed his first goal of the season from 12 yards out.

Lloyd should have made it three two minutes before the break but turned Barnes’ deft cross narrowly wide at the near post.

The second half was much the same as Droylsden struggled to gain any foothold in the match. However, it took 20 minutes for Harry Winter to score the third, blasting in his third of the season from the edge of the box after some great work from Adam Sumner and Lloyd on the left.

An early contender for goal of the season soon followed as defender Dave Hankin chased a loose ball just outside the box and his shot on the turn curled into the top left corner.

Fylde were in total control and continued to search for more goals – substitute Jamie Rainford was unlucky not to score his first for the club, curling his effort wide from the left of Droylsden’s box.

The final goal came 12 minutes from time from a well worked free-kick routine between Caspar Hughes and Booth. Hughes laid the ball back to the overlapping Booth, who fired a wicked shot into the bottom right of the goal from 30 yards.

It was a fine all-round performance which delighted manager Dave Challinor. He said: “We started the game really, really well but we became a little bit sloppy and gave them some impetus early on.

“The goal came at a good time for us and got us back into what we were trying to do and to go in 2-0 up was probably a reflection of our chances.

“Then in the second half it was about making the right decisions, keeping the ball and going at them on the counter attack. The third goal knocked the stuffing out of them really and from then on it became a comfortable win.

“We’ve been good really good, but I still think there’s a lot of improvement there.”

Up next is Matlock Town on Saturday afternoon at Kellamergh Park.


Fylde: Hinchliffe, Hankin, Sumner, M. Hughes (C), Denson, C. Hughes, Dorney (Booth 74), Winter, Blinkhorn (Charnley 74), M. Barnes, Lloyd (Rainford 65); Subs not used: Hare, Taylor.