Coasters through in FA Cup extra time

Lloyd - on target
Lloyd - on target

AFC Fylde 2, Bradford Park Avenue 1

AFC Fylde finally squeezed through to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup, winning this replay in extra-time.

Both sides gave everything in a classic cup-tie and the impressive Avenue side started well, though the Coasters had the better of the second period.

All the goals came in extra-time as Richie Allen scored his seventh of the season for Fylde three minutes in.

Danny Lloyd added Fylde’s second six minutes from the end but Danny Frost ensured a nervous finish by pulling one back for the visitors with two minutes to go.

Just one change was made to the Fylde line-up from Saturday’s 2-2 draw in Yorkshire, with Caspar Hughes replacing Liam Tomsett in midfield.

Early strikes from Allen and Danny Rowe were wasted before a good spell from the visitors saw Joe Colbeck’s shot blocked.

Further strikes from Chris Howarth, Paul Walker and Scott Kerr tested Ben Hinchliffe but none of them could beat the Fylde keeper.

And the two sides continued to trade shots as half-time neared, with Rowe, Walker and Chib Chilaka going all close.

Fylde regrouped in the second half, and whatever manager Dave Challinor said in the dressing room certainly worked as they pressed hard for that opening goal.

An excellent save from John Danby denied Rowe after an earlier strike from the Fylde forward was blocked and cleared.

Play went straight up the other end, where Tom Hannigan was brave enough to get his head in front of Kerr’s fierce, edge-of-the-box strike.

The Coasters kept piling the pressure on their Vanarama Conference North rivals and Mike Barnes was denied by some kamikaze defending and excellent shot-stopping before having a strike cleared off the line by Grant Black on 72 minutes.

Another excellent save by Danby denied Bradley Barnes a minute later, and then the visitors almost found the net when Black’s 30-yard free kick was spilled by Hinchliffe, who recovered to thwart Richard Marshall’s effort.

Allen and Potts came close to winning it late on for Fylde but there was no escaping 30 additional minutes of intriguing cup football.

And Fylde made the perfect start as Allen slotted man of the the match Potts’ low cross between Denby and the post to given his side the lead.

And Lloyd put the game to bed, with time and space to fire home from Allen’s expert square pass.

But there was still time for Bradford to add some tension as Frost curled a brilliant strike into the top corner, giving Hinchliffe no chance.

Fylde’s reward is a home tie against Buxton on Saturday week. They face two league games before then, starting with North Ferriby United’s visit to Kellamergh Park on Saturday.