Dover Athletic 2 AFC Fylde 1: Ten men stun Coasters with late double

AFC Fylde conceded twice in the last seven minutes as 10-man Dover turned this National League clash on its head.

Sunday, 9th December 2018, 11:09 am
Updated Sunday, 9th December 2018, 11:15 pm
Danny Rowe scored his 15th goal of the season at Dover

Read More

Read More
A question of balance for AFC Fylde boss

Inih Effiong’s two late strikes at the Crabble Athletic Ground were a massive boost for the struggling south coast club and meant Danny Rowe’s first-half goal counted for nothing.Fylde made one change from the side that drew with Sutton as Jim Kellermann came into the midfield for Andy Bond, whose wife had gone into labour.The Coasters started brightly as the close control of Nick Haughton caused the hosts problems time after time, his quick feet seeing him glide past defenders.Fylde had the first shot on goal on 11 minutes, when Dover keeper Mitch Walker held Rowe’s bouncing free-kick from 30 yards.The striker had a better chance two minutes later but fired over when Walker punched a corner straight to him 10 yards out. The chances continued for Fylde as Rowe turned provider, releasing Kellermann who fired just wide of the right post.Next it was Arthur Gnahoua’s turn to go close on 20 minutes from Danny Philliskirk’s through-ball. Fylde pressure was rewarded after 25 minutes. From a quick free-kick, Kellermann’s cross from the left found Rowe unmarked in the box to fire his 15th league goal of the campaign.The tricky Haughton continued to cause problems and he went close 10 minutes before the break with a curling effort from 25 yards which fizzed just past the far left post. Fylde’s top scorer Rowe should have doubled his tally on 37 minutes but headed straight at Walker from Luke Burke’s pinpoint cross.A scramble from a corner shortly before the break was as close as Fylde keeper Jay Lynch came to being troubled in the first half and Fylde were good value for their interval lead.But the hosts were brighter after the restart and soon threatened, Kevin Lokko seeing a header deflected widewhen he was unmarked and should have scored They went even closer on 49 minutes, when Effiong released Anthony Jeffrey but keeper Lynch was out smartly to deny him.Fylde reponded but Gnahoua could only glance a header wide from Zaine Francis-Angol’s cross, though Fylde were boosted by the first appearance of the season by club captain Lewis Montrose, who came off the bench for the closing quarter of the game.And it definitely looks like being Fylde’s day on 67 minutes, when Jeffrey was shown a straight red card for impeding Philliskirk when clean through. Ryan Croasdale’s volley was blocked for Fylde but it was the 10 men who looked the more dangerous and they equalised on 83 minutes. Substitute Alfie Pavey nodded the ball back into the six-yard box for Effiong to convert with ease.Nick Haughton’s quest for his first Fylde goal continued as he tested Walker with a long-range effort but the final twist was to come at the other end. In the last of four minutes of stoppage time, Effiong went one on one with Lynch and made no mistake to inflict Fylde’s fourth league defeat. Dover; Walker, Passley, Brundle, Lewis, Taylor, Lokko, Gomis, Reason (Pavey 62), Jeffrey, Allen (Nortey 71), Effiong; not used: Diarra, Daniel, WorganFylde: Lynch, Francis-Angol, Byrne, Tunnicliffe, Burke, Croasdale (Williams 83), Kellermann (Montrose 64), Philliskirk, Haughton, Gnahoua (Toure 75), Rowe; Not used: Brewitt, TasdemirReferee: Carl BrookAtt: 927