Fylde coast youth football review: County cup triumph for BJFF Blades

BJFF Blades Under-13s flew the flag for the Fylde coast in the final of the Lancashire FA Cup as they took home the trophy with a 4-0 win against Ribbleton Greens.

Thursday, 16th March 2017, 10:45 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:51 am
BJFF Blades Under-13 won the Lancashire FA Cup

They got off to a perfect start as Harrison Giggal put them ahead with a brilliant lobbed shot from outside the area.

The Blades continued to put pressure on the Greens but found their defence to be very strong and organised.

That was until Giggal made it two just before the half-hour mark as he raced down the right to shoot past the keeper.

The Greens finally threatened the Blades goal from the restart but fired over. Another shot went just past the post as Ribbleton desperately tried to get back into the game.

Spencer Phillips saw his shot saved at the start of the second half before Giggal hit the post and Donny Barat fired wide.

But the latter put the game to bed with a low shot past the keeper before Tom Whiteside rounded the game off with a cracker to make it 4-0.

The win meant BJFF Blades were crowned Lancashire champions after the game staged at the LFA headquarters in Leyland.

Elsewhere, in the Hogan Cup Squires Gate U13 progressed to the semi-finals with a 5-1 win against YMCA (see previous pages).

In the U13 Plate quarter-final, it took penalties to separate Layton and BJFF Vipers after the game ended goalless, with the Vipers going through 6-5 on spot-kicks.

Prince Yelegon grabbed a hat-trick and Adam Meadows a brace as Thornton Cleveleys Whites beat Foxhall Hoops 5-1, with Noah Clarkson on target for Foxhall.

In the Alpha Gold Division, leaders Foxhall had it all to do as they found themselves 3-0 down at Fleetwood Town thanks to goals from Matthew Tomlinson, Callum Gawthorpe and Alex McLoughlin.

But they produced an impressive comeback and won 4-3 with a last-minute winner from Aiden Wright, which was his second of the game.

Dylan Henshall and Bradley Norman also got their names on the scoresheet.

In the Silver Division, Matthew Guy managed to score four for the fifth time this season but still ended up on the losing team as his FC Rangers side lost 6-5 to Kirkham Blues.

Thomas Swarbrick scored the other, and Kirkham’s goals came from a Lewis Weaver hat-trick, Fraser Burton, Pamusa Saar and Airon McKenzie-Turner.

In the Lytham Juniors derby, the Maroons convincly beat the Blues 8-0 thanks to a hat-trick by Louis Euinson and goals from Finlay Best (2), Kyle Costin, Dion Latham and Leo Radikis.

The big game in the U16 section saw leaders Lytham Juniors Home Heat take on second-placed Poulton for a place in the Hogan Cup semi final.

And Lytham emerged victious with a hard-fought 3-2 win.

There were very few clear chances in the first half, with the only goal coming from Tom Pinsett’s determination in the last minute of the half.

Lytham started the second half the stronger, and when Kai Clarkson Lowe was brought down in the penalty area the outstanding Max Older converted the spot-kick.

Moments later Daniel Piling headed home Lytham’s third from a well-taken free- kick from Clarkson Lowe.

Lytham were then reduced to 10 men before missing another penalty.

In the last 20 minutes, Poulton made the most of their extra man and pulled a goal back with a great strike, before adding a second in injury time.

But Lytham held on and progressed to the semi-finals, with Billy Gallagher and James Ludlam putting in exceptional performances.

In the league, a hat-trick from Matt van Wyk set St Annes Greens up for a 6-0 win against Warton Typhoons to continue their fine form. Connor Heyes, Aiden Preston and an own goal completed the scoring.

Foxhall just managed to pip FC Rangers 2-1 thanks to Vinny Ormerwood and another own goal, with Callum Moore replying.

Kirkham managed a 7-2 win at Blackpool Rangers Seasiders thanks to a hat-trick from Ben Rawcliffe and goals by James Findlay (2), Matt Parker and Luke Holding.

Foxhall Under-18 became the first team to clinch the league title as they beat St Annes 4-1 thanks to goals from Ben Bradley (2), Harry Dale and Aaron Waterfield, while Reece Rodgers replied.

In the Fleetwood derby, Town beat the Rangers 5-2 as Jacob Cheeseman and Daniel Carr scored the consolations.

YMCA Under-12s remain top contenders for their Poulton and District Primary League title after a 6-1 victory over BJFF Warriors at Bispham Gala Field. They had the edge in the first half and led 2-0 at half-time.

The second half followed a similar pattern, with YMCA remaining in control and adding a further four goals, with the Warriors notching a consolation.

Harry Gledhill and Dean Fenwick both notched pairs, with Noah Mawene and the impressive Kaiden Pirrie also on target. Yash Pirrie shone throughout.

However, YMCA Under-14s suffered a setback to their title ambitions with a 2-1 defeat by Clifton Rangers at Mythop Road. The heavy pitch caused difficulties for both teams and the first half was a very scrappy affair.

It remained goalless at the break and it was a similar story after the restart, with a lot of fouls and misplaced passes preventing real fluency.

However, the deadlock was finally broken by YMCA, who took the lead through Liam Brown, who fired home from a 40-yard free-kick.

With nine minutes to go, though Clifton levelled when a cross from the wing drifted into the net.

Clifton then bagged a winner in the final minute, when another cross was poked home from close-range.