MATCH REPORT: AFC Fylde 0 Salford City 2

Fylde's eight-game unbeaten start to the National League season came to an end courtesy of a goal in each half from Salford's Tom Walker and  Adam Rooney

Wednesday, 5th September 2018, 12:14 am
Updated Wednesday, 5th September 2018, 12:21 am
Danny Rowe tries a shot against Salford Picture: STEVE MCLELLAN

Read More

Read More
Hemmings hoping to keep AFC Fylde shirt

Fylde found themselves under early pressure, with Salford’s front line causing numerous problems, yet the best chance of the first 15 minutes came to the Coasters. James Hardy played in Danny Rowe, whose shot was blocked by the former Fleetwood Town skipper Nathan ond.

Salford’s first real chance was a header cleared off the line by Rowe, who found himself in unfamiliar territory.

Soon after Rooney and another ex-Fleetwood man Nick Haughton combined well to create another opportunity, though Haughton shot well over from 25 yards.

Salford continued to attack and Jay Lynch made his first save of the match from Rooney’s low, left-footed effort.

Lynch was unable to saved his side on 26 minutes, when Walker went through one on one and struck a powerful shot into the bottom right corner.

It was almost 2-0 soon after as a long ball found Rooney in space on the left. He cut inside and missed the far corner by inches.

Fylde came back strongly and Salford’s former Fleetwood keeper Chris Neal made his first half, tipping over Rowe’s effort.

When Pond was booked for a mistimed lunge on Jim Kellermann after half an hour, Rowe’s free-kick was deflected off the wall for a corner, from which Ryan Croasdale steered a free header wide.

Kellermann was booked five minutes later for a late challenge on Pond that seemed like retaliation for the earlier offence.

Challinor made two substitutions at the break, with Tom Brewitt making his home debut in place of Ash Hemmings, while Gime Toure came on for Hardy.

Fylde continued to struggle to cope with Salford City’s attack as Zaine Francis-Angol was forced to clear over his own bar.

Haughton was a constant threat, sparking a move which ended in Lynch’s great save from Rooney.

Salford began to drop deeper, allowing Fylde to dominate possession but they struggled to break down the defence.

Rowe’s long-range effort was comfortably saved by Neal and Toure couldn’t keep a header down from Francis-Angol’s cross.

Fylde’s fate was sealed on 69 minutes, when Haughton’s cross into the six-yard box was headed home by top scorer Rooney.

The alert Neal kept Luke Burke’s mis-hit cross out but the last chance fell to the Ammies as left-back Ibou Touray dragged a shot wide after a surging run.

AFC Fylde: Lynch, Francis-Angol, Byrne, Tunnicliffe, Bond (Philliskirk 70), Burke, Hardy (Toure 45), Hemmings, (Brewitt 45) Kellermann, Croasdale, Rowe,

Salford: Neal, Wiseman, Touray, Pond, Haughton (Hogan), Rooney, Walker, Whitehead, Shelton, Piergianni, Gaffney (Rodney 65)

Referee: Gareth Rhodes; Attendance: 2,941