Six-hit Coasters bomb Bay

Hat-trickhero Allen in the thick of the action
Hat-trickhero Allen in the thick of the action
Share this article

AFC Fylde 6, Colwyn Bay 2

Five goals were scored in the first 12 minutes of an amazing contest at Kellamergh Park in which the Coasters came out on top in style.

Danny Rowe scored the opener in the second minute before Richie Allen claimed a seven-minute hat-trick.

Between his second and third goals, however, Obi Anoruo gave Colwyn Bay a lifeline before James Ellison brought it back to 4-2 from the spot just before the break.

But once Danny Rowe added his second four minutes into the second half the result was never in doubt. Allen then claimed his fourth with another penalty and he still had time to miss a third penalty with two minutes to go.

The win moved second-placed Fylde back within three points of leaders Barrow, who were held to a goalless draw at Chorley, with four games to play.

The action began in the first minute, when 17-year-old Colwyn keeper Gareth Rees almost spilled the ball into the path of Richie Baker but the Fylde midfielder was judged offside before attempting a shot.

But a minute later, Fylde had the lead thanks to Rowe’s tap-in, assisted by Rees’ parry from Allen’s initial shot.

Three minutes later, Allen shot down the right wing with the ball glued to his feet and was able to cut into the box and fire into the top corner of Bay’s net with his left foot.

It got even better for the home side when they went 3-0 up with only seven minutes on the clock – Danny Lloyd was unlucky to see his curling effort saved by Rees but the rebound fell kindly for Allen to head into an empty net.

The visitors then got in on the act with their first attack on 10 minutes, as Anoruo was able to beat Langley to a weighted through-ball before knocking it round keeper Ben Hinchliffe and sliding the ball into the net from a tight angle.

But two minutes on, Fylde had their fourth and Allen’s hat-trick was complete when he was felled near the bye- line and duly stepped up to fire in right-footed past Rees.

Allen was unlucky not to add his fourth on 19 minutes, when Rees pulled off a decent save.

Soon after, Bay had the ball in the back of Fylde’s net but referee Mr Johnson had already blown for a foul on Hinchliffe.

The game calmed down 
until the half-hour mark, when Rowe’s shot on the turn sailed over the bar.

Danny Lloyd missed a gilt-edged chance to make it 5-1 but he headed Allen’s cross wide when it looked easier to score. But when the next goal did come, it fell for the visitors as Ellison was adjudged to be fouled after taking a shot and the ref awarded Bay a penalty which Ellison converted two minutes before the break.

Just before half-time the game became tasty as Fylde captain Brad Barnes flew in hard on his opposite number Marc Williams and was lucky not to receive more than a ticking off.

Four minutes into the second half, Fylde restored their three-goal advantage when Rowe fired in a trademark long-range strike that had Rees well beaten, and from that point onwards the result was never in doubt despite a string of chances for Bay.

Ellison should have done better when he was played in by a excellent through-ball on the hour, but with Langley for company all the way, his shot was wayward.

Anoruo then had a chance from Kevin Holsgrove’s flick on 72 minutes but couldn’t guide his effort past Hinchliffe.

Four minutes later, Fylde grabbed their sixth when substitute Dion Charles was brought down just inside the box and Allen fired the penalty in off a post.

Bay certainly didn’t lie down and Holsgrove was unlucky to see his strike sail inches wide.

Charles was brought down in the box again five minutes from time and Allen stepped up to take his third penalty, but this time Rees dived the right way and palmed his strike away for a corner.

Sportingly, man of the match Allen shook the young keeper’s hand, acknowledging a decent save.

Charles came close to adding a seventh late on before Williams hit the bar with a header in stoppage time for the visitors.