Tomsett strike earns Fylde a point

Tomsett - vital strike
Tomsett - vital strike
Share this article

North Ferriby United 1 AFC Fylde 1

Fylde halted their run of three defeats with a well-earned point on their return to Vanarama Conference North action on Humberside.

Both sides cancelled each other out and neither could produce a match-winning moment after Liam Tomsett’s second-half strike for Fylde had been answered within three minutes by a Nathan Jarman header.

Dave Challinor made two changes to the side that started at Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup seven days earlier, bringing Bradley Barnes back in as captain and giving a rare start for Danny Lloyd, one of the few who impressed in Tuesday’s Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy defeat to Holker Old Boys.

The first half produced little action of note, though an early effort from home defender Liam King had Ben Hinchliffe scrambling back but the Fylde keeper was able to watch the half-volley sail over the cross bar.

On 23 minutes, Jason St Juste found himself in the clear after a mistake by Fylde’s Luke Denson on the edge of his box, but a fine double save from Hinchliffe denied the winger a goal.

Fylde man of the match Josh Langley had a shot blocked seven minutes later, and with 39 minutes skipper Barnes had the goal at his mercy but his header from Richie Allen’s cross was straight at a defender on the line.

The second half was far livelier as both sides went out for a win and it was the Coasters who took the lead eight minutes in.

Allen beat keeper Adam Nicklin to Denson’s cross and knocked the ball goalwards for Tomsett to tap in from close range.

But United, promoted from the Evo-Stik League a season before Fylde, were soon level as Jamie Yates’ free-kick from the right was met by Jarman, who headed in unopposed from six yards.

The home side then began a period of dominance, in which Hinchliffe had to pull off a string of decent saves to keep his side on level terms.

He denied Jarman a second on 59 minutes, diving full-stretch to tip his excellent shot from distance on to the crossbar.

Jarman went close again with a curling effort from the edge of the box which Hinchliffe plucked out of the air before Liam King tested the keeper with a decent strike.

Lloyd made a good break down the right for Fylde midway through the half and his square ball eventually found Mike Barnes, who didn’t get enough on his low strike to trouble Nicklin.

The home side continued to press and King was unlucky to see an effort sail over before substitute Ryan Kendall came within a whisker of nicking it with nine minutes to go, heading wide from a corner.

At the other end Allen tried his hardest to sneak all three points at the death, but steered his efforts either high or wide.

Fylde remain second but Barrow have opened up a four-point lead after their 1-0 home win over Stalybridge.

And Fylde face another tough test at home to fourth-placed Stockport County on Saturday.