Kirkham and AKS lead the way in Lancashire hockey

Four convincing victories saw Kirkham's U12 A hockey side crowned Lancashire champions with AKS sealing the runners-up spot.

Thursday, 2nd March 2017, 12:53 pm
Updated Thursday, 2nd March 2017, 12:55 pm

KGS A faced AKS in their opening match and won 9-0, with Bo Madden and Hattie Madden leading the way.

Next up for KGS was Lytham St Annes Technology and Performing Arts College, when KGS again worked hard on and off the ball.

Natasha Hartley-Smith converted the first, with a further five goals coming from Hattie and Bo Madden.

Baines were up next and KGS were firing on all cylinders, scoring the first of their goals in the opening seconds.

In the final game KGS faced Rossall converting in open play and from short corners to clinch the title with a 12-0 win.

AKS bounced back from their opening defeat to defeat Baines 12-0.

Great passing hockey and attacking play saw AKS create many scoring opportunities as Ziv Wilson, Gabriella Fowler, Preesha Rajan and Carley Wilde contributed goals.

The third game against Rossall was a much closer affair.

Good defending by Eleanor Lumsden and Charlotte Thomson, together with some good saves from Eloise Brooks, kept Rossall out and AKS broke the deadlock through Wilson, who coolly converted a penalty before half-time.

The second half was also close but Poppy Bridges worked hard to control midfield and two further goals secured a 3-0 win.

AKS went into their final game against Lytham knowing a win would secure second spot; they raised their game to play their best hockey of the tournament and win 4-0.

In the B team tournament, KGS again took the top spot in a closely fought battle with AKS B. .

In KGS’ first game against Lytham St Annes B, Eve Gooderham converted from a corner and Anya Baxter followed up to make it 2-0. KGS added another for a 3-0 victory.

It was the same scoreline when KGS faced AKS C.

Lytham St Annes C team were up next and two great goals from Gooderham and Tillie Martin meant KGS secured their third victory of the day.

It went down to the last game between Kirkham and AKS to decide the outcome, with both teams having won all their games.

AKS had the better goal difference and the tournament’s top scorer in Phoebe Marchbank-Caunce, who had scored eight.

It meant only a win would do for KGS, who took an early lead, and while AKS battled back, KGS took victory with a goal two minutes from the end.

Despite losing three of their four games, AKS’ C did not look out of place in B team company.