Ladies first for Blackpool

Blackpool Ladies are sitting pretty at the top of their league, though Lytham Ladies let a 2-0 lead slip as they lost 3-2 at home to Pendle Forest in North West two west.

Tuesday, 8th October 2013, 9:05 am
Heidi Williams is bundled over in front of goal resulting in a penalty for Lytham

Vicki Nickson and Lorna Leach defended well as Lytham came under early pressure, with goalkeeper Lydia Browne commanding the D.

Sophia Crawshay ran hard up the left and Gilly Shields set up her opening goal. Heidi Williams made it 2-0 at half-time.

But despite strong runs by Alix Townsend and Livvy Hawtin, Pendle hit back to equalise and they sealed victory with a last-minute penalty stroke.

Sophie Thomas’ strike two minutes from time saw Blackpool Ladies maintain top spot in the Lancashire Central premier division with a 3-2 win away to Clitheroe Seconds.

Blackpool’s strong start was awarded with an early goal, a lovely reverse stick strike from Emily Copp.

Blackpool continued to exert pressure but Clitheroe showed how dangerous they are on the break by taking a 2-1 half-time lead.

The visitors responded well as Thomas equalised and both keepers made excellent saves before Thomas sealed it with her second.

Alex Hastie was Blackpool’s player of the game for a fantastic display.

Blackpool Seconds are also setting the pace in division one as defender Samantha Wilde played in goal and kept a clean sheet in the 3-0 win over Lancaster Thirds at Stanley Park.

Katie Spencer returned in midfield after a long absence and Blackpool withstood early pressure before Shona MacPherson opened the scoring.

After a first half of few chances, Wilde was tested after the break and some trademark runs from MacPherson settled the visitors.

One such run and cross resulted in Danni Wiggans doubling the lead from close range and captain Nicky Dresser sealed the win after exchanging passes with MacPherson.

Blackpool Thirds were outstanding 8-1 winners at Clitheroe Fourths in division three as Maria Adams inspired her young team-mates, scoring two herself.

Grace McKnight scored the very early opener and went on to complete a hat-trick, which included a brilliant angled shot.

Blackpool were 4-0 up at half-time and Kathyrn Watson soon added the fifth with her first goal for the team.

Frankie Woods’ goal was a lovely lifted hit from the edge of the circle, then Chloe Mallinson beat four and scored with a fine strike before Clitheroe’s late consolation.

Lytham Seconds lost 6-2 away to Lancaster University in the Lancashire Central premier, despite Megan Wildish and Charlotte Corkhill going close to opening the scoring.

Lancaster hit back with two goals in quick succession and led 3-0 at half-time despite some good saves by Kim Fisher.

Lytham fought hard after the break and Ash Colvin released Wildish for a well deserved goal.

As Chelsea Atkinson pushed hard up front, Wildish scored her second on the rebound. Despite Lancaster scoring again, Lytham had the better of the second half.

Lytham Thirds beat their Southport counterparts 2-0 in division three.

Leah Macaulay and Abby Taylor were creative in midfield but the keeper continued to deny Emily Taylor until her persistence paid off before half-time.

As Beckie Fue’s tackling kept Southport at bay, victory was sealed in the final minute when captain Sophie Hyman netted from a short corner.