A point from glory

LYTHAM Ladies require just one point from their final three games to be crowned Lancashire Central premier division champions after their revenge win over Garstang.

Tuesday, 6th March 2012, 8:22 am

With Amy Horrocks marshalling the Lytham defence strongly, Gemma Trickett set the home side on their way to a 3-1 win.

Trickett’s second, from a one-two with Danielle Bamber at a short corner, made it 2-0 at half-time and Bamber netted the third with an unstoppable shot despite Garstang’s consolation goal.

Lytham Seconds came back from two goals down to beat Morecambe’s senior side 3-2. Lytham started strongly, with Penny Pemberton and Hannah Travis combining well in midfield, but Morecambe scored twice before their keeper saved a great strike from Nina Sethi.

Sophia Crawshay made it 2-1 at half-time from a deflected shot and her strike was deflected high into the net by Travis for the equaliser.

Heidi Williams slammed in the winner as Tracey Housley and Helen Muschamp defended strongly.

Lytham Thirds remain fourth in division two after a 4-4 draw with the Brookfield’s first team.

n BLACKPOOL Men kept their hopes of clinching the second promotion spot in North West division three alive by digging deep for a 4-3 victory over Timperley at Stanley Park.

The home side were twice denied by the keeper in one-on-ones before Mariano De La Lastra broke the deadlock with a fine individual goal.

Timperley soon pulled level but Blackpool regained the lead when Dave Morgan fired home from James Slater’s lay-off.

However, the visitors were level again by half-time and took the lead with a deflected goal to leave Blackpool’s hopes hanging by a thread.

It looked unlikely to be their day as they hit the post and had a goal disallowed, but then Morgan finished a flowing passing move.

He was denied a hat-trick but the ball fell for Ian Swaine to sweep in the winner. The final five minutes were tense but Blackpool held their nerve.

Blackpool Seconds recorded a ninth straight win in a 4-3 thriller at Warrington in division seven north.

With right winger Jay Currey prominent on a challenging pitch, Nathan Woodman shot under the keeper for the opening goal.

They doubled the lead when Dave Latimer’s pass was turned in, between his legs, by top scorer Chris Hocking for his 25th of the season.

As the Payne brothers, Jordan and Josh, showed their potential, Currey crashed home the third.

But the good work was undone as Warrington hit back to level the scores by half-time, despite inspirational goalkeeping by Graeme Kilshaw.

But Blackpool regrouped for the start of the second half and Woodman’s second proved the winner.

Blackpool stood firm, with Andrew Mortimer impressing on his first appearance in central defence.

Blackpool Thirds were thrashed 7-0 away to Southport Fourths in nine north..

n Lytham St Annes Men gained three badly-needed North division one points with a 3-2 win over Urmston.

In a fast-paced game, Lytham fell behind before David Burns equalised and David Robins put them ahead from Tom Atkinson’s well-timed pass.

Simon Beard was prominent as Burns flicked home his second before Urmston pulled one back.

LSA Seconds remain third in North West four after a 1-0 defeat by leaders Windermere.

Urmston Thirds have conceded 238 this season and Lytham Thirds added to their woes with a 19-0 win.

Aaron Gee’s strong run was the first-half highlight for LSA Fourths as they trailed 2-0 at West Derby Seconds.

They improved after the break and Dave Cartmell pulled one back following Steve Poole’s run, but the hosts added a third.

The following day, the fourths drew 5-5 with Manchester Seconds


n Blackpool Ladies were 2-0 down at half-time at Southport, despite Amy Partington and Lauren Burrell playing well in midfield in this Lancashire Central premier clash.

Blackpool started the second half strongly and debutant Beth Kerr pulled one back only for the match to end 4-1. Teagan O’Hara and Meghan Fearn posed problems for Southport’s defence.

Blackpool Seconds dominated Witton Warriors to win 4-0 in division one.

Shona MacPherson drove Blackpool forward and set up the opener for player of the game Christy Martin when her shot rebounded off a post.

Danni Wiggans hit the post before Lynsey Shewin scored twice and a deserved strike from just inside the D by MacPherson made it 4-0 at half-time.

Witton did test Beckie Brookes in the second half but Debs Wilson and Vicky Waddington defended solidly.

Injury-hit Blackpool Thirds had to concede their game against Southport Thirds.